Do you want to work in a small, but fiercely dedicated newsroom, with over a century of history under its belt? The Armenian Weekly is seeking applicants for a motivated individual to assist our editor with responsibilities associated with producing, editing, and publishing a newspaper. Depending on the candidate, primary responsibilities may include:
- Flexing your writing muscles in a big way (from covering hard news, to investigative stories and longer form narratives relevant to Armenia and the Diaspora—that means following international beats)
- Interviewing important members of the community and finding nuanced answers to some of our community’s biggest questions.
- Working with contributors from across the world and helping find new writers and voices to represent the diversity of the community
- Attending local/international events on behalf of the paper and writing news reports
- Assisting with layout and design of the print newspaper
- Copyediting and proofreading submissions
- Managing and innovating newspaper’s digital presence
- Helping edit and produce our new podcast
Excellent written, verbal, and organizational skills and an ability to meet strict deadlines are required for this position. Ideal candidates will possess a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Master’s degree a big plus), relevant experience, and a familiarity with the Armenian community.
Experiences in content management, familiarity with WordPress backend, graphic design, and newspaper layout are other big pluses. Armenian language proficiency (Eastern or Western) is extremely desirable. Proficiency in other relevant regional languages, like Russian or Turkish, are also a big advantage—but certainly not a deal-breaker.
Bringing a newspaper to life is a multi-faceted job, which is why we are seeking multi-faceted and multi-skilled candidates. We are looking for people committed to facts, context, great storytelling, and creating a better media environment for everyone.
Those wishing to apply should send their resume, a cover letter explaining why you think you’re right for this job, and some writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.