YEREVAN—The Armenian Revolutionary Federation (ARF) Supreme Council of Armenia issued an announcement on May 27 urging the Serge Sarkisian Administration to immediately end its negotiations with Turkey, Yerkir reported.
At a press conference, ARF Supreme Council of Armenia chairman Armen Rustamian read a statement calling the recent diplomatic efforts to normalize relations with Turkey a failure.
Below is the translated text of the announcement.
In assessing the year-long process to normalize Armenia-Turkey relations and the current situation created in that arena, the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Supreme Council of Armenia finds that the so-called “Soccer Diplomacy” effort has failed. Thus we affirm that:
· Until now the process has served and is serving only Turkey’s interests. On the one hand, Turkey is deflecting the international community’s attention from its internal problems and hypocritically acting as an advocate of establishing normal relations with neighbors. On the other hand, the Armenian agenda is being driven out of the international arena step by step.
· By gravely violating agreements, Turkey has not dropped its preconditions. Furthermore, it is attempting to dictate conditions on the Karabagh conflict resolution process, visibly taking Azerbaijan’s side and obscuring the Armenian-Azeri conflict.
· The preconditions presented by Turkey are not only unacceptable, but they are illegal. They insult our national dignity and endanger the future of our dual Armenian states and the Armenian people.
· In reality, Turkey is continuing its anti-Armenian policies, while, at the same time, attempting to play the international community. It is evident that the opening of the border is its international responsibility and cannot serve as leverage or an opportunity to force preconditions on Armenia.
· At this juncture, Armenia and the Armenian people must prove that despite the blockade by Turkey, they can put forward bold political and economic policies and realize them, becoming a vital force in the region and a developed country, without compromising our national interests.
Based on these, we call on the president of the Republic of Armenia to reassess these policies and end the negotiations.
We believe that Armenia that the only way to normalize relations between the two countries and address any pending issues is for Turkey to immediately end the land blockade, and to adhere to international norms as they relate to the establishment of diplomatic relations.